Getting More Rest
Getting enough quality sleep at the right times can help protect your mental health, physical health, quality of life, and safety. Here are some tips:
- Allow yourself enough time to sleep
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day
- Avoid strenuous exercise and bright artificial light, such as from a TV or computer screen
- Avoid heavy and/or large meals within a couple hours of bedtime
- Avoid alcoholic drinks before bed
- Avoid nicotine (for example, cigarettes) and caffeine
- Get enough exercise
- Keep your bedroom quiet, cool, and dark
- Take a hot bath or use relaxation techniques before bed
If you are having problems with sleep, see your doctor. Snoring and daytime sleepiness could be a sign of sleep apnea.
GlobalHealth covers sleep studies and many types of treatment. Treatment will depend on study results.