Fitness and Exercise
Health benefits of exercise include living longer, having more energy, and just feeling better. Other benefits include:
- Weight control
- Prevent or manage many different health problems – heart, diabetes, depression, arthritis for example
- Improve muscle strength
- Better sleep
- Social engagement
- Improve memory, boost cognition
- Manage chronic pain
- Take the stairs.
- Join an exercise class – Zumba, yoga, swimming, etc.
- Walk around your neighborhood.
- Invest in kettlebells, workout videos, or boxing equipment.
- Challenge yourself to a half-marathon and train for it.
- Take an adventure vacation – hiking or skiing for example.
- Park at the back of the parking lot.
- There are four types of exercise:
- Endurance – jogging, yard work, cycling, swimming
- Strength – weight lifting
- Balance – Tai Chi
- Flexibility – yoga, stretching
Always talk to your doctor before starting or stopping any fitness routine. The regimen best for you depends on several factors:
- What regimen you already have.
- What stage of life you are in – childhood, adult, pregnancy, senior adult.
- What shape you are in versus what shape you want to be in and how quickly you want to get there.
- What medical conditions you have.
- What your goals are – weight loss, muscle or bone health, mental well-being.
Generations Select (HMO) members click here.