Healthy aging involves a variety of aspects. It is important to address all of them.
- Get enough sleep.
- Try mental exercises.
- Write down tasks and appointments.
- Work puzzles.
- Read a book.
- Stay in touch with family and friends.
- Talk to your doctor about any depression symptoms.
- Control chronic health conditions as much as possible.
- Talk to your doctor about any pain management you may need.
- Talk to your doctor about incontinence.
- Get preventive care as recommended.
- Exercise and stay active on a regular basis. Click here for information about fitness and exercise.
- Eat a healthy diet. Click here for information about nutrition and healthy eating.
- Take medications and dietary supplements only as your doctor advises. Try to have all your prescriptions filled at one pharmacy.
- Take precautions to avoid falls, such as removing trip hazards in your home. Click here for tips.
Medical, legal, and financial care planning – talk to your attorney
- Consider an Advance Directive. Click here for information.
- Consider funeral planning.
- Consider long term care planning.
- Consider appointing a power of attorney and what specifically you what him or her to manage for you.
- Simplify finances.
- Complete a will.