Nutrition therapy services
Generally, nutrition services are one of the first treatments that individuals should receive to improve conditions such as diabetes and kidney disease.
Who is at risk
People living with diabetes or kidney disease.
What you can do
Understand what your condition requires nutritionally.
- Diabetes – for example, low carbs.
- Kidney disease – for example, low salt.
Preventive service at no cost
Medical nutrition therapy (MNT) services and certain related services are covered if you have diabetes or kidney disease, or you’ve had a kidney transplant in the last 36 months. You may receive three hours of MNT for the first year and two hours every subsequent year. You can receive more hours if your doctor says you need them. Services may include:
- An initial nutrition and lifestyle assessment
- Individual and/or group nutritional therapy services
- Help managing the lifestyle factors that affect your diabetes
- Follow-up visits to check on your progress in managing your diet
Why the service is important
Poor nutrition can lead to massive health problems.
What the service is
A Registered Dietitian or nutrition professional who meets certain requirements can provide MNT services. If you get dialysis in a dialysis facility, Medicare covers MNT as part of your overall dialysis care.
Medical nutrition therapy provided by an RDN includes:
- Review of your eating habits and lifestyle.
- Thorough assessment of your nutritional status.
- Personalized nutrition treatment plan.
- Set attainable goals for long-term change in eating habits with your dietitian.
- Understand that nutrition therapy requires behavioral and lifestyle changes.